Ads 468x60px

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Maybe I'm Using Facebook Wrong

I have a strange feeling that I am not using Facebook correctly. You see, Facebook has introduced their newest feature that will be pushed out to everyone shortly called Social Graph. If you don't keep up with tech news (or even if you do) that title may confuse you. A better title for the feature would be something along the lines of... Facebook Search, because essentially... that's what it is. It's simply a way to find in-depth things about your friends on the social networking site, and if Facebook doesn't know, they turn you over to Bing for help. You can search for... well, anything! From friends in your town that like steak to married people that like prostitutes. Remember, if you put it on Facebook... it's public information, and now it's even more public.

That is the gist of Social Graph. Just another "feature" I have absolutely no use for. But why not? Well, at the time of writing this, I have 125 friends on Facebook. And I personally know every single one of them. Some are family, some are old friends, or coworkers. The few that don't fit into any of those categories are my close friends. I already know which ones like action movies, or barbecue, or video games, etc. If I wanted to spend a Saturday out in a field launching model rockets, I know which friends to turn to. If I want to go see the next Superman move the night it opens (I do), I know which friends would want to join me (I do).

But that's me. Someone with 125 friends. But what about someone with more? Since he's CEO, I'll use Zuck as an example. Mark Zuckerburg has over 17 million followers on his Facebook page. Wanna take a guess at how many he actually knows? What about a little closer to home? Some of my friends on Facebook have over 1,000 friends, and I guarantee they only know a fraction of those people.

My point is, I have a small group of close friends, as I always have, and I weigh each of their opinions and recommendations on things differently from other people. So I don't need to search Facebook for any information regarding my friends' personal opinion of things.

But since I only have 125 friends.... maybe I'm using Facebook wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment