Ads 468x60px

Thursday, February 7, 2013

One Reason Why I Dislike ISP's

Earlier today, I noticed an ad on a page I was visiting. I see ads on webpages all the time, but it's fairly rare when I stop and take notice of them. This was an exception, and it is one of the many reasons why ISP's annoy me with their "bundling" tactics. This is the ad that I saw:


This amount, is all but meaningless for a number of reasons. The charge for internet will never be just $20 because there will be taxes, service fees, equipment rental fees, etc., so it is more realistic to say it would be closer to $35 per month. But even that number is insignificant due to the requirement that the internet service is bundled with other products.

Currently, I do not have a home telephone. I have a cell phone, as does everyone else in my household. Having a home phone that was only called by telemarketers and wrong numbers was a waste of time and money. I also do not have cable television. We were paying close to $180 for a level of television that gave us the extra 2 channels we really wanted. Again, waste of money. So we cancelled our telephone and cable plans and went internet-only. We watch whatever TV shows we want online through either Hulu or Netflix.

Anyway, I digress. Falling for an ad that is selling $20 monthly internet when bundled with anything else is idiotic. Let me show you why. I have altered the original ad to show a better price, but it is still trivial. See if you can spot the difference:


See it? It is nothing more than a ploy for you to spend more money on services you don't need. The ISP's can put any number in that ad to make it appealing for the consumer because they know it is utterly meaningless. $20, $10, $2.64, it doesn't matter. The other services in the "bundle" will just end up costing more. Now, if it was simply an advertisement for $20 monthly internet, with no strings attached... well that's a horse of a different color.

It makes me want to take out an ad for a service to keep elephants out of your yard. Oh, but people won't fall for THAT one.

No comments:

Post a Comment