Ads 468x60px

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Rest In Peace, My Beloved Google Reader

For a number of years now, I have been a daily user of Google Reader. Honestly, it is where I get close to 90% of my news from. It's how I stay up to date on what new gadgets are coming out and when, as well as hear about other current events.  Last night, I learned that Google would be discontinuing the service on July 1, 2013 as part of their "Spring Cleaning".

It is quite clear that I will not be the only one missing what could arguably be the best RSS reader around, as most of the articles I've seen, ironically... in Google Reader, have been about the services' discontinuation. For example:

And my favorite title...
And now, like 1000+ others (my fellow Readers will get that), I have to find a new way to get my news. Many other blogs have been recommending NewsBlur for its striking similarity to Google Reader. Unfortunately, when I tried to sign up, I was constantly met with error messages. Bad news for a site that could snag a few thousand new customers following the news of Reader's demise. Even now, the site is in Maintenance Mode and is suggesting you visit another site. First impressions mean a lot.

For the next month, I will try out Feedly. It separates itself from Google Reader by using a magazine style layout, similar to Flipboard. But unlike Flipboard, Feedly is available on the web as well mobile apps. Maybe that's why it appeals to me more than other options.

Pulse is another option to try. I'm just not a fan of their layout. It's very simple in design, using a screen full of boxes to bring your news to you, but I just get lost in it all. I want something more simple.

Google Reader was simple.


No comments:

Post a Comment