Ads 468x60px

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Still Working for Tech

Oh boy... when I named this site Will Work 4 Tech, I apparently wasn't joking! I have been absolutely slammed at work, which is good because it makes the day go by faster, but it also means that the site has taken a back seat. So let's see if I can get it back on track, shall we?

A few weeks ago, the girlfriend upgraded her computing experience by demoting her older desktop computer and bought a shiny new laptop. Yay, progress! Even though, it's not my toy, it's still good news for me since her desktop would now be re-purposed to serve as the video streaming box connected to our HDTV. In other words... it means I get my laptop back!

And therein lies a couple first-world problems. You see, I have my laptop set up for remote log in, meaning I can manipulate my computer via tablet, Chromebook, or any other internet connected device. Which came in handy when I wanted to type in a web address that wasn't already bookmarked, I could remotely log-in and type whatever was needed. I also had a wireless mouse that sat on the couch for typical web surfing. Since I have commandeered my laptop and relocated it back into the office, the mouse went with it. So now I need something new. Yes, of course, I could just set up the remote log-in services on the PC, but I don't want to have to rely on that feature for the computer to be useful.

Then I remembered a keyboard I saw many months ago. It was a little thing, with a built-in trackpad. That sounds perfect! So a little internet sleuthing turned up the FAVI Entertainment SmartStick Wireless Keyboard with Touchpad Mouse. Quite a mouthful, isn't it?
The FAVI keyboard was no larger than a typical television remote and as light as a feather. Unfortunately, those are the only good things I can say about it. Well, let me take that back. As long as you were within 3 feet of the bluetooth receiver, it worked quite well. If you were 4 feet away, the keyboard and the touchpad were sporadic at best. You could type, but it would only catch every other keystroke, which was fine if you were going to wwwwww..ggooggllee..ccoomm. Considering I bought it because the 3 foot cord on the wired mouse didn't allow us to sit on the couch to use it, which is the entire reason behind purchasing the FAVI... I was disappointed. I really was because I had high hopes for the little guy.

The package was delivered to my house around 3:00 in the afternoon, and by 9 p.m. the same night, it was repackaged in the box, with a UPS pickup set for the following day. Normally I will give myself some time to try out new products before seeking a refund, mainly because there's usually a fix for new user problems... but this keyboard was horrible right out of the box. And this dude... does not abide horrible hardware.

Immediately following the refund request process through Amazon.com (which is surprisingly fast, I might add), I turned around and placed another order. This time, it wasn't going to be for a FAVI keyboard, or any novelty peripheral. No, this time, I will go with a brand I have trusted for may years, and many different devices...
Logitech! Specifically, the Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400 with Multi-Touch Touchpad. It's a normal sized keyboard, which is a bit overkill for what we're going to use it for, but if it works, so be it! I can't give a review for it just yet, as the mailman is still bogarting it, but he should relinquish it by the time I get home.

Now, what else has happened over the last couple weeks? Oh yeah, Google Glass started landing in the hands of developers and others that plopped down the $1,500 for the Explorer Edition. As much as I'd like to have a pair to review, I just can't justify letting go of fifteen hundred dollars for a heads-up display. So I will refer you to Engadget, where they have a pretty extensive review of Google's new wearable computing. Just in case you were curious.

And that is all I have this time. Like I said, I've been busy, and I have to catch up on my tech news so I, at least, know what I'm talking about when someone asks. So I will see you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment