Ads 468x60px

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

You need to read this.


I write in this blog because I want to. I'm a technology and gadget fan, so that's normally what I write about. Honestly, I normally don't care if you read it or not... but this time I do. This time... it's important. This time... it's not my words I want you to read, but I do want to say something first.

You see, we are in a pandemic of sorts. A pandemic that, while we are beating it back towards oblivion, we are doing so at a snail's pace, and I'd like to help speed it up. So what is the pandemic?

Bigotry [big-uh-tree]
noun, plural -ries.
1. stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own.
2. the actions, beliefs, prejudices, etc., of a bigot.

This was made most apparent during my town's spring parade last weekend, when the Family Tree float drove by, and all clapping ceased as the float passed.
Photo by Mike Ewen/Democrat
Let me put that into some perspective for you about the values my town has:
  • The Parrothead float had a gentleman in a coconut bra and grass skirt
  • The Krewe float had female pirate wenches with their breasts spilling over the top of their outfit, as well as a topless mermaid decoration on the bow of the ship
  • The breast cancer research float had women with pinwheel bras (to be clear, I'm not criticizing the group, I'm merely pointing out the costume)
These floats, and possibly more, were well received with clapping, laughing, and hoots and hollers. But a tasteful float supporting our local gay community is shunned because people are too damn quick to judge others. I am embarrassed for my town.

I want you to read something. I discovered this through a friend on Facebook (thank you, Rain), and it moved me enough to try to get more eyes to see it. Don't back out now, if you've read this far into this post then maybe there is some hope left for reasoning with my fellow man. Ready? Click the link below.
 I'm Christian, unless you're gay.(Make sure you read all 3 pages)

Now I want you to read a 15 year old's response to that article, as well as his mother's reaction.
A Teen's Brave Response
Do not give me a knee-jerk reaction about what you have just read. Instead, give it 5 minutes. Think about it. Let it simmer in the three pounds of gray matter between your ears. Set any hatred you may have aside and think it over for 5 minutes with an open mind and open heart. I'll wait.

Now, if you have any comments you would like to make, go for it. Just remember, no matter who you are, or how you live.... I love you. Our world and its cultures are too diverse, and our lives are too damn short to be hateful for stupid reasons.

You may say I'm a dreamer,
but I'm not the only one.
I hope some day you'll join us,
And the world will live as one.
- John Lennon


No comments:

Post a Comment