Ads 468x60px

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Google's Cr-48 - Part Two

Our 8 hour drive was pretty uneventful... as far as the Cr-48 and the internet are concerned. I blew through the 100mb of free data during the first few days of having the netbook, so I caved and paid the $9.99 unlimited data day-pass. I’ll admit, I was impressed watching Jenna check in to Facebook and surf the web in ease while I was driving through some small towns in rural southern Georgia. Now, in all fairness, Jenna doesn’t like to be constantly connected like I do, so she didn’t spend much more than an hour or so on the web, but the signal never faltered, which is really saying something considering how far away from civilization we were. No amount of cows or silos blocked the 3G signal. It is now our 2nd morning in South Carolina and the only time the Cr-48 has NOT been connected to the cloud is when I turned it off... which is when we were sleeping.



I now have 3 users on the Cr-48, and to switch between them, I simply log off from my account and hand it over to so they can log in. When I need to go back to my account, all the tabs I had open are still there. Pretty cool, huh?

So far, I have talked about the things I like about the Cr-48. Is now a good time to talk about things I DON’T like?

Hmm, as far has hardware, the touchpad is a bit of an annoyance, especially trying to right-click on something. Although this headache can be avoided by connecting any USB mouse. I am a HUGE fan of the absence of the caps lock key (aka: Billy Mays Mode), and the search key that replace it can be somewhat handy... I don’t like that it opens a new tab.

Learning to work within the cloud, and in the cloud ONLY requires a little bit of getting used to, because no matter how many things you do online, you still do things offline. Things like saving a picture, or downloading music, or playing video games, all require storage space on a hard drive. I have used the Cr-48 for almost a week now and have mostly had a positive experience. But there have been times and things and things I have wanted to do, and while I was still able to accomplish them, they took longer than usual. The process may speed up over time once I learn the internet applications to do what I need to do.

I’m still learning and testing out what this little netbook is capable of, and I have yet to break it. So that's a good thing.

Alright.... what should I talk about now? What else you wanna know?

No comments:

Post a Comment