Ads 468x60px

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Windows 8 First Impressions


Earlier today I spent the better half of 2 hours setting up a brand new laptop with Windows 8. Quick review? I'm not a fan. When it takes 10 minutes to find the setting within the Mail app to add additional accounts... something is wrong. I do understand that Windows 8 is Microsoft is trying to reinvent itself. They are attempting an operating system that will be the same on desktops and tablets, which is a grand idea, but I don't feel as though they pulled it off. Now, this is my opinion, and it may change the more I get to explore Win 8.

But I do know when someone spends the money for a new high end laptop, this screen should never appear:


Yep, a brand-spanking new $1,000+ laptop, and this is the screen that greets me after going through the setup process. I'm not sure what caused the error, but I restarted the computer, went through the setup process all over again, and this time it worked.

There are other annoyances that, to me, make no sense whatsoever. In Windows 7, as is has been in all Windows variations before it, there was an X in the upper right corner to close the window, app, whatever. When you open an app from the Start screen, there is no X. Instead, you have two options. You can either leave that application running in the background, or click on the top of the screen and drag down to the bottom center to close it. Which means, if you are using a trackpad, you will need both hands. Why Microsoft decided that method was easier than simply clicking an X is beyond me.

To Microsoft's credit, they included 3 videos to help get you acclimated to the new user interface. On the other hand, Microsoft only included 3 videos.

Good news is that within the live tiles of the Start screen is a tile that says Desktop which will magically transport you into somewhat familiar territory to the likes of Windows 7. Even though this Win 7 lookalike is lacking the all-important Start button, there are programs (like Pokki) to bring back something similar to a Start button.

Long story short, my first real encounter with Windows 8 was a disaster. It was the first time in 20 years that Windows has made me feel like an idiot. Like I said earlier, my opinion may change, but it will be quite a while before I get this sour taste out of my mouth. If I were to buy a new computer today *shudder*, it would either be a Chromebook, a Macbook, or I would uninstall Windows and run Ubuntu.

No comments:

Post a Comment