Ads 468x60px

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I'm breaking up with my BlackBerry

 But not yet.  I just wanted to let my Storm know that its days are numbered. It's not that its a crappy phone or anything like that, but there are a few things that could have been made better.

Photo from CNET Reviews

  For instance...
during development, it seems that RIM and BlackBerry didn't think to put enough RAM in the phone to run the operating system and more than 2 or 3 apps at a time. In this day and age, everyone downloads certain apps to personalize their phone and make it work just the way they want. You can certainly add a large number of apps to the 256mb that RIM allotted to the Storm, but not when the phone's operating system takes up the majority of the memory. They try to make up for this shortcoming by including an 8gb SD card, but you are unable to store or run apps from there, so it's only good for storing pictures, mp3's and videos. They really dropped the ball on that one.


 Another thing I have learned to dislike about the Storm is the touch-screen. This one has 2 parts. First off, since the screen itself is a 'click-able' touch-screen, that means the screen itself has to move up & down, just a tad. Therefore, there is a tiny crevice surrounding the screen, which in the year that I have owned it, has collected some dust and other particulates under the screen along the edges. This is really just a minor annoyance to me, as it's more from a visual standpoint and not an operational one.

Photo from CNET Reviews
 The thing that bothers me the most about the touch-screen is the virtual keyboard. My previous phone was the Palm Treo 755 and it was a touch-screen with a real QWERTY keyboard, and I though moving over to a virtual keyboard was an obvious next step in smartphone evolution. I was wrong. The screen on the Storm is 2.5 x 2 inches, which by itself is a really good size. I can surf the web or watch a video with no problem, but writing an email or filling in a form you have to type on the virtual keyboard which takes up half the space on the screen. I have no problem typing on a one-inch keyboard, but only having one inch of screen to have to scroll, click, and type in, bothers me.

 Also, 99.9% of the apps developed for BlackBerry are just barely compatible with the Storm so they never really run they way they should.

So, BlackBerry, as soon as I can afford to..... I'm dumping you. It's not you, it's me.... no... wait... it is you.

My next phone will be a Droid. Hey, I'm a Google Guy.


Seriously, What's not to like?

No comments:

Post a Comment